Baccarat is a sophisticated card game that has amassed popularity over the years. It is often counted as a staple game in any casino. Designed to be a game of wits with a touch of luck, the game has many players across the board. In popular culture, Baccarat has been made famous by some eminent personalities like King Edward VII and the movie icon James Bond. The best part about the game is its versatility and accessibility. You can play Baccarat in casinos everywhere, online and offline.
As of 2011, online casinos in South Africa are run based on guidelines and regulations issued by the government to protect the safety and privacy of players. This means that you can play online casino games like baccarat without any hesitation. Playing in online casinos is the definition of comfort and convenience, so go ahead and play your favourite baccarat games online!
Best Baccarat Casinos - December 2023
100% Up To
+ 300 Free Spins
100% Up to
+ 200 FS + 1 Bonus Crab
+ 50 Free Spins
+ 35 Free Spins
200% Up To
+ 30 Free Spins
See All Casinos
100% Up to
+ 200 FS + 1 Bonus Crab
What Is Online Baccarat?
Baccarat is an old casino game that involves players using their skills in observation, tactics, and decision making along with some luck. This casino game is specifically enjoyed by those who like to exercise their mental capacity and make smart decisions. The game is essentially a comparing card game played between the player and the banker.
Each round of the game can have three possible results:
- Player: where the player has the higher score
- Banker: where the banker has a higher score
- Tie: the game is tied between the two players
Baccarat is played with a 6-deck or 8-deck of cards. The main objective of the game is to get a hand where the total value of the cards is closest to the number 9. The players have an option between three different types of bets, after which the game begins.
Baccarat has three classic versions of the game:
- Punto Bunco, also known as the North American baccarat. Here, how the players move is dictated by the cards being dealt.
- Baccarat Chemin de fer is the French variant of the game that has been famous in James Bond movies like Golden Eye and Her Majesty’s Secret Service. In Baccarat Chemin de fer and baccarat banque, players have greater control over the choices they make in the game.
Other variations of the game include:
- Mini baccarat: this is commonly played in smaller venues. The baccarat table only has one croupier or dealer working the table. Also called mini punto, this format of the game has smaller tables and lower minimums/maximums.
- Super6/Punto 2000: Super6 is an alternative to classic baccarat, where even money is put on the winning banking bets instead of the regular 95%. However, when the banker wins with a 6, only half the bet is won. The house edge for this version of the game is higher, it's 1.46% as opposed to the regular 1.058%. This also has a higher commission to play. Along with a significantly higher house edge, the Super6 baccarat table uses speed to play the game. This does away with the cumbersome routine of counting and collecting the money for winning banker bets.
- EZ Baccarat: A variation that came up in 2004, here the players pay even money on both the player bets or winning banker, with the only exception being when the banker manages to get a winning hand with a total of 7 after the third card is dealt. This leads to a push on banker bets.
How To Play Live Baccarat Online?
Playing baccarat online casino is quite simple. However, it requires you to pay the utmost attention to win. The game begins with the players placing their bets with the croupier or the dealer. A player has the choice between three different bets, the players, the bankers bet, or a tie. The seating arrangements of the game are very casual, with players sitting around an oval casino table.
The order of play begins to the right of the dealer and moves counterclockwise. Before the start of the game, the players and a dealer shuffle the cards. The dealer shuffles the cards one final time, and the player on the left cuts the deck.
- The game begins with the two hands being dealt with, one for the player and one for the house. Each hand has a pair of cards, with the player placing their bets on either of the hands or on a tie.
- Next, both parties are dealt with face-up cards, and the point value for the cards is calculated. The 10 and face cards are worth zero points, and the ace counts for 1 point.
- The game is over if one of the hands has a value closest to the number 9. However, a third card is dealt with if the value of the cards in play is below 5. Then the value of the cards is added up to see who has the closest value to 9.
- In the case of the total hand going over 10, the second digit becomes the value of the hand. For example, if you have 8 and 9, which adds up to 17, 7 would be the value of the hand.
- So, for instance, if the player has a hand of 4, 3, and king and the dealer has an Ace, 5, and 2. The dealer will win the round as their card totals up to 8.
Types Of Online Baccarat In South African Casinos
The best thing about playing baccarat online in South Africa is access to multiple styles of gameplay. As a player, you have the option to choose from a wide range of games to test your skills and luck on the casino table. Here is a list of options you have when you decide to play online baccarat:
- Classic Live Baccarat: this is the standard version of the game where each round takes about 50 seconds. Generally, only pair side bets are available in this format.
- Live Speed Baccarat: Similar to the classic version of the game, speed baccarat is played with the added thrill of faster games. Here, one round of baccarat is finished in less than 30 seconds. The cards are dealt face-up, and players are required to make their bets quickly.
- Live baccarat squeeze: This is a unique version of Baccarat. The term “squeeze” here adds a layer of drama to the game. It is the dealer who makes the squeeze (in the regular variant), or the player (in the controlled variant) who carefully reveals the value of the card.
- No commission baccarat: Many baccarat tables take a commission fee from all winning banker bets, but a no commission table removes this fee and replaces it with some other condition. They will either have a lower payout on a winning hand if the Bank gets a specific number like 6 or 9.
Important Things To Know Before Playing Baccarat Online Casino
As a casino enthusiast, the internet gives you an array of online casinos to choose from. By following the tip and tricks mentioned below, you will have a guaranteed good time and have the chance to earn a lot of cash.
- Be sure to check if the online casino deals with the South African Rand. This is important is are going to be playing with real money.
- Always check the online reviews for the casino before making an account and depositing money. You can save yourself from shady and fraudulent websites by staying vigilant on the internet.
- Keep a lookout for promotional offers, bonuses, and rewards. Taking advantage of such offers can help you increase your winning on the casino table.
- Many websites offer players the chance to baccarat for free. Use this opportunity to practice your game plan and strategy or explore other versions of the game to find your own niche.
- Knowing the winning odds is a crucial strategy in baccarat. Since baccarat is a casino game heavily dependent on the cognitive temperament of the players, you need to use every possible source of information to make the proper decision. What makes baccarat popular is the lower house edge of 1.36% in online casinos, making it a lucrative game to play.
Why Should I Play Baccarat Online?
This is a question you may have in mind when thinking about playing online, especially if you have the option to play Baccarat in physical casinos. What sets virtual casinos apart is the comfort and choice they offer to players. Virtual casinos give you access to a wide range of online casino games, promotional offers, bonuses, and the chance to win actual money. As a casino enthusiast, you would be hard-pressed to deny such a sweet deal.